About Me

My Photo
Amber
The Apple State, United States
Visit me at ambermcleod.com where I display my wares...
View my complete profile

Tag Cloud

Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Impulse Buy...BYE!

Well, if you've been following you may remember my comment about being overzealous in heading to ebay to purchase the first item the looked remotely like what I needed....yes?

I got the 2.5 HDD Enclosure on Saturday. I was really excited, even drove to the hardware store (without kids!) to get a set of those itty bitty screwdrivers that are so elusive when you need them most.

Apparently Sony has stock in Lock-Tite because those screws were in there so tight that my husband had to actually tear the hard drive from the unit. Made my paperweight a bit lighter!

So as I sit there anxiously, reminding him to be sure not to touch this or that, and make sure he's not static-y like most of us during the winter, he finally hands over the little Hitachi.

Like a maniac I rip open the box of my new enclosure, pop it open and ....VOILA! It doesn't FIT!

So for other people who are prone to impulse purchases purely for instant gratification purposes and are in need of a 2.5" HDD Enclosure...there areTWO KINDS:

  • SATA
  • IDE (or P-ATA)

...now, I'm not going to pretend that I know more about this than I do because that would be misleading.

Word to the wise....pull your HDD OUT of the PC before you buy anything for it. If it has pins on it, that's IDE or P-ATA. If it looks like a little flat strip should fit into it, that's SATA.

And if you need a 2.5" SATA HDD Enclosure....let me know. $10 and that includes shipping.

Sigh.

Not a total loss though!! Now, (listen men) because my husband understands my disgust of waiting, he pretends to go into Home Depot (20 miles away) and comes home later with...you guessed it...and IDE 2.5" HDD Enclosure. $50.

It works beautifully....and the "look" he gave me said, "I hope you've learned your lesson about impulse buying."

I did...for now.

0 comments: