About Me

My Photo
Amber
The Apple State, United States
Visit me at ambermcleod.com where I display my wares...
View my complete profile

Tag Cloud

Thursday, July 26, 2007

My Neverending Quest ENDS HERE!

Everyone knows I like a good gratis program (freeware). I mean REAL and TRUE freeware. No demos, no trials, no strings.

I have generally been able to find free software for pretty much any function. If I can't find it it takes some real convincing from the people in my head to actually spend money on it.

But my greatest quest - to find a good WYSIWYG web authoring program. Currently I use FrontPage, and I like it. But my quest continues. This software must exist!

Yes, I know there are several freeware editors out there - but I have yet to find one that allows the user to edit a page in WYSIYG, then switch to code & preview mode - without opening a browser window.

I know within moments if I like the software. I can't tell you how many I've downloaded, tried for 2 minutes, then uninstalled. So why not keep a geek-journal about it? Here goes!

The following recommendations are from TuDogs, my favorite gratis directory.


AlleyCode - http://www.alleycode.com/
This is a great software if you really want to truly LEARN html. And I do suggest that people actually try and LEARN the code. It's very simple actually. Anyway, this is a good solid program. What I like about it is that it also supports php.

Easy HTML - http://www.javascript-page.com/easyhtml/
Another great program, but no WYSIWYG. Sorry, I must have it!! Again, super software if you want to LEARN html. Oh - and it doesn't have an uninstall thingy. That I don't like. Now I have go ask
Kim Komando how to remove software that doesn't have the thingy!!


HTML Kit - http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
I've used this one before - lots of bells & whistles, but no WYSIWYG. Maaan!! Someone invent this! I'm not smart enough!! :( SO, this is a good program for, again, those who want to learn HTML. I think it's a bit complicated. Not for beginners...too much goin' on here.

GIVE ME THE WYSIWYG ALREADY!!

Okay, now I'm googling for "free wysiwyg web authoring software" and I've come up FreeCountry.com ... give me a moment to compose myself. I just had a flashback of a moment when I actually DID find the program I was after, and here's alink. Nvu.

People, I'm writing this in real-time. Downloading, running, then popping over here to blog. You're experiencing a moment with me, lol. We may have found our winner! Off to download....

oooh...its a slow download...this is gonna be good, I can feel it....well, slow meaning we're at 54% in about 8 seconds, LOL. What did I do before DSL? You don't wanna know...

DRUMROLL PLEASE.....

Ladies & gentlemen, we have a winner!

Nvu - http://nvu.com/

So, you don't want to spend the money on FrontPage or DreamWeaver, hey, I hear ya! I bought a used copy off of eBay. I mean really, software should NOT cost that much. CRAZY TALK! So here's your answer...maybe I'll gripe it later, but it's all hype today people!

Go check it out and tell me what you think.

It's been a long journey on the trail today....

1 comments:

Stefani @ MommyEnterprises.com said...

Would you believe that is the only one I found that I liked after downloading many free editors too! I have it installed on my computer and it is my "free html editor" of choice too!

I do love Dreamweaver too!