About Me

My Photo
Amber
The Apple State, United States
Visit me at ambermcleod.com where I display my wares...
View my complete profile

Tag Cloud

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Who ARE you people?

Here's a quickie for ya. All this talk about "IP Addresses" - you know, those numbers that supposedly identify you on the web?

Some IP addresses are static [permanent] and some are dynamic [temporary]. If a static IP is blocked, then that's pretty definitive. That particular computer to which that particular IP is assigned will be blocked. End of story.

When a dynamic IP is blocked, then it's kind of a "so what" scenario. Computers with dynamic IPs have IPs that constantly change. It's sort of a protective mechanism ~ helps keep the anonymity going. It can also work FOR forum spammers. Once they register with a forum and spam it up, the administrator will likely ban their IP, but if it's dynamic they just come right back.

So, ANYWAY, the thing I was actually going to share here was the HOW of finding out where an IP originates from.

One of my favorite sites, GeoBytes. You can even paste the source code of an email in and trace where it came from. Groovy, eh?

Oh - and if you're wondering what YOUR IP address is, here you go: http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

Check 'em out, you'll do the "ooh ahh" thing if you're new to the net. :)

1 comments:

This is Us! said...

Such wonderful tips here, and great descriptions! Thanks so much! Can I add a link to this blog on my blog? (http://momebayer.blogspot.com/) Thanks for posting all this awesome stuff, it's really helpful!